Nonprofit: Kids Like Us
Kids Like Us is a non-profit organization dedicated to the literacy learning of children in city schools. It is their belief that one of the keys to becoming an expert reader and writer is having access to outstanding books that reflect, value, and celebrate the lives of the students attending school throughout the country.
They are committed to showcasing high-quality children’s literature that students can see themselves in–books with characters that look like them, speak like they do, live in neighborhoods like theirs, and have experiences they can relate to.
Kids Like Us is run entirely by volunteer educators and community members and their website is meant to serve as a resource for teachers to locate titles for their school and classroom libraries.
Kids Like Us also provides professional development and technical support to teachers in selecting high-quality children’s literature and utilizing classroom libraries to support children’s reading and writing development.
Here is a sample of the services does Kids Like Us provides:
• Access to the highest-quality collection of children’s literature that reflects the lives and experiences of students in city schools
• Recommended book sets that have been reviewed and rated by urban public school teachers and students
• Links to author and illustrator websites and teaching guides
• Professional development and technical support for schools, childcare centers, and community literacy organizations
• A network of educators and community members committed to the literacy learning of urban school children
For more information: